When you hear the term “living off the road”, what does it means? Living off the grid doesn’t mean you have to live in a way the hermit does. The truth is most people who choose to live in this way are actually somewhat sociable.
When a person hears “living off the grid”, he or she typically imagines a kind of life in a far-flung area.
A person imagines his or her self living on a farm where there are no utilities like electricity. Though some people choose to live in that way, the true meaning of living off the grid is not to depend completely on the usual source of energy that power grids offer.
You will be able to get nearer to a 100% when you search for an alternative system to use in generating electricity.
There are various reasons why a person can live off the grid but, usually, off-grid solar electric systems are used in the remote areas where connecting to a local utility grid can’t be possible or it is prohibitively costly.
These systems are also suitable for those areas wherein grid power is incompatible or it can be because of the demand of a self-sufficient lifestyle. Whatever your reason for choosing to live off the grid, you should consider first what you will need.
The following are the things you require to start the off the grid life:
12 Things You Have to Go Off the Grid
- Money – living off the grid will not be easy for you to do if you do not have money inside your pocket. With money, you can buy things you need so that you can live off the grid.
Cash is very important especially if you will live off the grid with your family. The truth is to do anything today requires money and typically, you need lots of it.
- Land – when it comes to living off the grid, first and foremost, you need to look for a place to go. In choosing a place where you can live off the grid, you must choose one with adequate supply of water.
Always take into account that you’ll be off the grid. Meaning, you would be producing your own electricity by using solar and wind energy.
In selecting the best location to live off the grid, you should look for a place that has good sun and moderate wind. It must be located close to other resources so that you will be living off the grid in a safe, manageable and comfortable way.
When you have children, you should consider your location in relationship to hospitals, schools, shopping stores and entertainment centers. If you already have your family, you should never forget to consider the needs of your husband or wife as well.
- Shelter – you also need to have a shelter. Once again, you have to choose one that is safe, energy-efficient, comfortable and affordable. Cabins and homes are known to be the most affordable choices and they are also the most attractive ones to most individuals. Converted buses, RVs, and the like are also available.
- Water – if you are planning to buy land, you should look for one that offers a sufficient supply of water. For sure, there are lots of choices to choose from. It is best to see and check them one by one before making a choice.
- Food – don’t forget to include foods in your list of necessities when living off the grid. Most people who prefer to live off the grid grow their own foods. There are various foods that are highly suitable for off the grid way of life.
- Livestock – these include chickens, cows and pigs which are known to be the best sources of meat. These meats are rich in protein and you don’t have to harvest them.
- Energy – of course, when you choose to live off the grid, you will need to have your own source of power. This is where you should consider the use of solar or wind power.
If you live off the grid, hopefully, you will not be using more energy. But, actually, the amount of energy you consume every day does not matter because you will be supplying your home with electricity using your own solar or wind power system.
With an off the grid system, a tiny wind turbine, solar panels, a micro-hydro system or an amalgamation of the mentioned technologies are used to supply adequate supply of power.
In certain off-grid systems, a home-based backup generator might be included as well and it is used to supply power if the renewable technologies are incapable of producing a sufficient supply to suit the needs.
Off-grid living relieves completely your dependency on electrical utility and that is because this system offers you enough supply of power.
For this reason, off-grid systems are usually bigger compared to grid-ties. To become fully independent, the system you use should have a bigger wind generator or a series of solar panels then paired it with a greater storage capacity of the battery.
When you are able to do it successfully, you will find living off the grid helps you save thousands of cash.
- Septic – you are responsible for your waste whether you choose to live off the grid or not. Having a septic system can be a good choice.
- Cuttings and Seeds – to grow foods, you should have some seeds to start building your garden. These are quite cheap.
- Materials – there are some tools that you need to use when living off the grid and these are the bolts and nuts, lumber, screw, metal, wire, cable, hoses, fencing, rope and many more. These are the things you should use in building and completing the repairs required in your off the grid homestead.
- Tools and Equipment – if you will be building your off the grid cabin by using the materials available on your area, you’ll require many tools and equipment. Examples of these are hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, drill, circular saw, lawnmower or tractor and many more.
- Commitment – you almost have all but your off the grid life will never be complete without commitment. You need to be committed and sincere to meet your goal for choosing to live in this way or else all your efforts will be wasted.
All of these things should be considered and prepared before you start your attempt to make a big change in your life. Always keep in mind that without these things, it will be too impossible for you to achieve your goal – to become fully independent.